The Alassio “Muretto”
In 1953, the artist Mario Berrino, owner of the memorable Caffé Roma, along with Hernest Hemingway, decided to embellish the public park wall with ceramic tiles displaying celebrities autographs.
This is the well-known old town of Alassio and the European longest open air shopping centre. It is a long alley that goes through the town and shows historical buildings and beautiful boutiques.
St. Ambrogio Church
Built in the 15th century on the remains of a 10th century church.
The ensuing extension works lent the church an interesting stylistic variety:
romanic, gothic and baroque features that we can appreciate today.
The inside hosts pieces by great ligurian painters: Giovanni Andrea De Ferrari, Giulio Benso and Bernardo Castello.
It is a parish since 1507.
Borgo Coscia fortified tower
Erected in the 16th century by the Genoa Republic, the bastion had a defensive function against the pirates raids that afflicted the ligurian coast.
We can admire it today with its circular and solid structure made of stone and bricks.
It is one of the most important symbol of Alassio.
At the touristic harbor “Luca Ferrari”, the Cappelletta is a sea fallen memorial since 1929. Magic and romantic place, you can enjoy from here a wonderful view of the sea and the bay.
Santa Croce Church
Built by the Benedictine monks in romanic style in the 11th century, it has an amazing position on the sea.
Here is the beginning of the Iulia Augusta, the part of roman street between Albenga and Alassio, a path rich of nature and historical findings.
Richard West Memorial Gallery
Inaugurated in 1907, it was designed by the Londoner architect W.D. Caroe.
The gallery holds a rich collection of the Irish painter Richard West, who lived in Alassio many years. It is an important evidence of the artist’s creativity and a valuable cross section of Alassio life at the end of 1800.
Carlo Levi art gallery
In the heart of the budello, the 17th century Palazzo Morteo hosts a small art gallery dedicated to the painter Carlo Levi from Turin, who habitually went to Alassio in the mid 1900s. He was very good at depicting Alassio landscapes with its olive trees, carob trees and rocks.